deutschenglishfrançaisitalianoрусский
show hide menu

The history

1812
The Augustiner Keller of today was first listed on a map of the city of Munich as a beer repository. At that time, the establishment was owned by the Büchl brewery. There was also a general ban on serving food in wine cellars and summer cellars.

1842
The municipal authorities allowed wine cellars to provide food. The city directory listed a beer garden in the Salzstrasse – which is what the Arnulfstrasse used to be called – as providing food and drink and considered it to be ‘one of the finest in Munich, despite the fact that it is located directly opposite the Munich execution site.’ Georg Knorr, son of a Dachau-based historian, took over the building in that same year.

1862
The owner of the Augustiner brewery, Joseph Wagner, purchased the building and its grounds. At that time, only the immediate vicinity of the horseshoe-shaped cellar building was actively gardened. The rest of the larger part of the grounds was a meadow which Wagner later reforested.

1880
The Augustiner Keller was given its current name.

1891
The last beer ox was sent into retirement. Up until that point, cattle were used to transport beer stored in the cellar to the surface via ropes and a winding system which they operated by trotting around continuously in a circle.

1896
Following renovations and opening of a garden-like area with a restaurant and waiters, the beer garden took on the appearance it has today. This appearance has hardly changed over the years. The Festsaal was built in the same year. The beer garden had 5,000 seats.

2010
Christian Vogler took over the Augustiner Keller as tenant in April and manages it together with his wife, Petra. 

The beer
The beer
Welcome
Welcome
The tradition
The tradition
deutschenglishfrançaisitalianoрусский

Beergarden opened